Sunday, October 23, 2005

Interview with a Princess

She came to my free english class last week. I taught her the colors of the rainbow. Her favorite color is red. She's wearing a red shirt. She is in her late twenties. Her smile is shy and tentative, but infectious once it blooms. This is some of what I remember from my conversation with her:

Do you like working in a bar?

No. I do not like.

How long have you worked at [bar]?

Twenty days.

Did you come to Bangkok twenty days ago?

Yes, I came Bangkok same time.

Do you have any children?

Yes I have. One boy.

How old is he?

Five years. His name "ball." His daddy likes football.

Did he come to Bangkok with you?

No, he stay in village.

With your mother?

Yes, my mother and my father.

Do you miss him?

Yes.

Do you like Bangkok?

No. Bangkok is not fun.

Work is not fun?

No. I do not like.

Why do you work in the bar if you do not like it?

For money for son and parents to watch him.

Could you get a different job?

No. Other jobs don't give enough money. Reception, office not enough.

So you must work in the bar?

I think yes.

And you do not like working at the bar?

No. I do not like.

No comments: