Monday, October 03, 2005

how do you fight like a girl?


I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about fighting. Not the irksome quarreling that goes on in daily life, but the bigger, meaner battle that goes on just outside of the everyday we see.

Father Christmas told Susan and Lucy to only use their weapons only "in great need." For, he says, "battles are ugly when women fight."

Certainly that is true in this physical world. There is something very horrible about a woman dying in battle. It is as though war is an arena of strength and yes, brutality, neither of which conjur up many feminine images. There are strong women, both evil and good, and yes, there are brutal women. But I know that I am neither one of these. I am only strong when I am supported, and brutality of any type is unthinkable to me.

And yet..."our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:12 NIV)

I am certainly able to fight these battles. I am most definitely able to advance the kingdom of God. I am well equipped.

The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. (2 Corinthians 10:4)

I know this. I know that I have the weapons and the armor to fight, and that I have the ability to succeed. But how do I, as a girl, go about that? You see, I don't want to fight. I like shining lights in dark places...but destroying strongholds? Good night. I have some tea to make. I need five or six nice strong boys to...nope. As tempting as I find that (run away and someone will protect me while I drink a good hot cup of earl grey) I know that that is not the answer.

But what is the answer? Lucy healed with her potion and Susan sounded the alarm. Peter killed the Chief Wolf and Edmund snapped the wand of the witch. So what do I do when I am faced with White Witches and Chief Wolves? Blow a horn? Yes...and no.

I am protected by many wonderful men who love God and serve him, fighting for him daily. God has given them the strength to do so. And when I need it, they fight for me. But I want to fight too. I want to kick some evil butt. But I don't like it. I'm squeamish, I'm prissy, I hate being bloody.

I suppose I have a question and no answer yet. Sigh. I'll keep going.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, every man has his wars and battles to fight. Actually, I think every man (and woman) must fight first with his own demons. He can only do that through prayer and meditation, and with Gods help. Once you've done this, the world will seem a better place.
Change has to come from within.

Bye :)

Anonymous said...

hello again...
I'll keep posting... after all, you're one of the first people that visit my blog. And the first to post something that makes sense.:)
One more thing: let me know which blog you use most often. Thanks!!Bye.

Anonymous said...

ooops... spelling/grammar error;

"...that visited my blog..."
sorry, just tired i guess.